Events -- The Oncology Foundation of Maryland and DC
Cancer Outlook: Realities and Resources
Saturday, November 5, 2011
Includes complimentary breakfast
Hayfields Country Club
700 Hayfields Rd
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
FREE Event Sponsored by the Oncology Foundation of Maryland and the District of Columbia, a 501(c)3 organization. The speakers are donating their time to provide information of vital interest to cancer patients and their families, as well as health conscious individuals.
- What is cancer?- Paul Celano, MD, President, Maryland/DC Society of Clinical Oncology, Chief Division of Medical Oncology, Greater Baltimore Medical Center
- Advances in Genetics and Screening - Kathy J. Helzlsouer, M.D., M.H.S., Director, Prevention and Research Center, Mercy Medical Center; Jessica Adcock, ScM, CGC, Genetic Counselor; Harvey Institute for Human Genetics, Greater Baltimore Medical Center
- Advances in Treatment – Surgery - Brian Levin, MD, Chesapeake Urology
- Advances in Treatment – Radiation Therapy - Richard Zellars, MD, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Department of Radiation Oncology
- Advances in Treatment –Chemotherapy - Carole Miller, MD, Director, St Agnes Hospital Cancer Center
- Navigating Through Cancer - Mindy Shifflett, American Cancer Society Patient Resource Navigator, Greater Baltimore Medical Center; Veronica Young R.N., Nurse Navigator, Greater Baltimore Medical Center ; Louis Yeager, Health Planners, Inc.
Question and Answer Sessions Throughout Program - Exhibitors
Silent Auction to Support Cancer Forums
The Silent Auction, held Dec. 10, raised more than $1800 for the Foundation. Funds will be used to offset the cost of Cancer Forums and operations. The Foundation is grateful to all who participated, and especially to Auction Chair, Gale Scavone, as well as Susan Nolte, President.
The group sponsored the Anne Arundel Cancer Forum on March 6, 2010.
The event, attended by approximately 115 people, provided reliable
information on various types of cancer, as well as treatment options.
Most of the presenters were practicing oncologists. The event, held
at the Severna Park Elks Lodge, was FREE and open to the public.
There were also exhibitors from the local cancer care community. The
luncheon speaker was Gary Jobson, world-renowned sailor and cancer survivor.
View article on our March 6, 2010 Cancer Forum event
Future Sites of Cancer Forums: (dates and times to be announced)
- Maryland Capital area
- Maryland Eastern Shore
- Southern Maryland
- Western Maryland
- Washington DC
If you have any interest in helping with a Cancer Forum in your area, please contact Pat at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410-544-7558